¼ cup rice (preferably basmati rice), 1 tsp ghee, 2-3 cardamom pods, 1 liter milk, 4-5 tbsp sugar, 2 tbsp chopped nuts, ¼ tsp rose water (optional)
- Soak rice properly for 20 to 30 minutes.
- Heat a pan and add 1 tsp ghee to it then add the soaked & drained rice and cardamom. Toss it for 2 minutes until turns aromatic
- Add milk and keep stirring so that milk doesn’t stick to the bottom.
- Wait until milk boils, then cook it for around 25 minutes on low flame.
- After some time, milk will reduce, rice will be cooked properly and kheer would look thick.
- Add sugar and nuts in it. Cook the kheer for another 5 minutes. Don’t make kheer too thick as it will further thicken once its cool down.
- Turn off the heat and add rose water (optional). Garnish with some nuts and serve.
TIP: You can use saffron to give it a nice color & flavor. For that, take 7-8 strands of saffron and add 2 tsp warm milk. Leave it for 5-6 minutes and add this in the kheer.